Thursday, September 20, 2012

Great Websites for the Whole Family!

We had the pleasure of meeting with our Healthy Kids representative from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene today, Trish Guiles. Usually these visits are tedious, full of news of coding changes and additional hoops we'll have to hurdle in order to get paid. I was pleasantly surprised today by Trish's bubbling personality and good news, including this wonderful website I just had to share with you. "Chop Chop" is chock-full of recipes for every meal throughout the day, including snacks, desserts, and beverages. I love the colorful photos for each; it all the more inspires me to make something when I see what the finished dish will look like. I was really happy to find a recipe for Kale Chips -- these seem to be ubiquitous these days, arriving as a side on every other restaurant dish I order these days it seems - so I was curious how to make them. 

She also recommended a website that emphasizes not just healthy eating, but ways to get active as well. Let's Move. For example, a page on getting families to include more physical activity in their lives encourages families to facilitate a safe walk to school a few times a week. This might not be possible in our rural area, but how about this? Maybe, next time you drive the kids to school, you could park the car a block or two from the school and walk the rest of the way? I see so many parents waiting in cars to pick up their kids from the bus. How far could they possibly live from the bus? Maybe a walk is in order there, as well. I especially liked the hint to not allow anyone to "sit still during TV commercials." I wonder if running out to the kitchen for a snack counts?!

So how about checking out those websites next time you're cruising the internet. They're just a click away from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment