Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ode to the Front Desk Staff


Next time you go to your doctor's office, take a really close look at the people sitting behind the desk. They probably appear fairly calm, although they may be surrounded by paperwork, ringing phones, and a computer demanding that they click something.  I never really thought much about what goes on there until this week. Robin is this minute somewhere on a cruise ship, probably enjoying one of those round-the-clock buffets and endless fancy drinks, while I've been attempting to fill in for her and help Lindy run the front office.
Monday could best be compared to sitting in a room with 5 tiny babies. As soon as one of them goes to sleep, another starts to cry. As you pick up the crying baby, another one needs its diaper changed, and another one rolls off of the changing table. It goes like this: The phone is ringing, sometimes 2 or 3 lines at once. Someone is waiting to check in and pay a co-pay, someone else is waiting after their appointment to schedule another appointment. Then, just as you think it's quieting down, someone walks in and wants to register as a new patient.  Or one of the doctors needs to be shown how to do something on the computer, or asks you to make a phone call.
I'm used to working in the back office, calling insurance companies about claim denials, posting payments (when we're lucky enough to get a check!), calling patients with appointment reminders, creating billing statements, and lots of other little tasks. I enjoy working on one thing at a time, with occasional breaks to stretch my achy neck. Working up front was a shock to this extremely introverted soul!
I tried to recall any time when either Lindy or Robin had seemed overwhelmed, cross, or even mildly upset. I wasn't able to summon up one negative peep out of either one of them! As I cruised through my mental image library, all I could see were two calm, usually smiling faces, talking gently to patients, answering the phone professionally and politely. How do they do it?
I think it's because they genuinely care about doing a great job, and because they really love our patients.  I hope it's also because they've found a place where they feel valued and like they're making a difference. Because they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment